Designing a website can be tricky. You have to provide information that will answer your customers’ questions in a clear and concise way while at the same time providing something that search engines can easily discover.
If you’re looking to improve your website design for the New Year, here are just a few things to keep in mind for a winning design:
- Keep it simple – Complex designs are things of the past. Web design today adheres to a minimalistic approach. Trends favor clean, flat, and even sometimes pageless designs. The aim is to impress your site visitors with the quality of your product or service, not with the glitz and glamour of your website. In fact, users tend to shy away from websites with overly complex graphics because they often take too long to load.
- Have a mobile-friendly website design – Your website should respond to any device and screen. If your website only works well on desktop computers, expect to take a hit. As much as a third of traffic in some industries comes from mobile devices. Make sure that you head into the New Year with a mobile-friendly site.
- Moderate your use of stock photos – Stock photos are popular but users catch on when they see images on your site that they’ve seen on other websites as well. Personal or custom images will cost more, but its often worth the extra money to distinguish your website from the pack.
- Simplify your navigation – Nothing chases users away like confusing navigation. To have a timeless web design, make sure that your website is intuitive so that users can get where they want to go within just a couple of seconds.
- Treat every page as a landing page – Do not just focus on your home page. Make every page a landing page, with an opportunity for users to place an order wherever they are on your site.
It is the beginning of the year and a great excuse to step up your website. A few upgrades can make all the difference to your rankings and conversion rates.