You may have the most beautiful website in the world, but if it is not intuitive, it won’t have the power to keep customers’ attention. A website’s usability involves key aspects such as simplicity, familiarity, consistency, relevancy, and accessibility. Even though usability sounds like a rudimentary concept, there are many sites on the web that are lacking in convenience and ease of use.
The following tips can make your website more user-friendly:
- Decrease page loading times – A page that loads sluggishly will not keep the attention of visitors. Users are used to getting results on the internet in a split-second. If your page loads too slowly, users will become frustrated and jump to the site of a competitor. Here are some tips to speed up your website.
- Increase responsiveness – A large number of people today browse the web using their mobile devices. A website that is not responsive (mobile-friendly) automatically loses that segment of the audience. Websites that are truly responsive will retain the same features and navigability, whether they are viewed on a smartphone or a large-screen desktop computer.
- Include headings and subheadings – Where search engine optimization (SEO) is concerned, a website’s content is critical. The use of headings and subheadings helps in breaking up long bodies of content. They make the page easier to scan and the content more inviting. People may jump from paragraph after paragraph of information, but if you make it “digestible” by breaking it up with headings, they will be more likely to stick around and read your full message.
- Employ familiar navigation – Different is not always better. If something is working, why try to reinvent the wheel and risk alienating your audience? A familiar layout makes users feel more comfortable. Using a navigation layout that is familiar to users will prevent them from leaving the site because of confusion. Stick to the standard navigational layout.
- Add images tastefully – Images can enhance a user’s experience if they are high quality and complement content rather than detracting from it. Stuffing a website with too many images might overwhelm users and bog down your website’s speeds.
Following these tips will allow website owners to improve the usability of their sites and attract more visitors. More visitors means more conversions, which is what every company is after.